Sunday, March 18, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

I know, I know, it is the day after St. Patrick's day here in the US, but I finally got this recipe to where I like it and I wanted to share it before I forget to do so. I ended up combining a recipe from my old baking book from Better Homes and Gardens and the GF Irish soda bread recipe from Living Without from last year. I liked the flavor of the Living Without bread, but the loaf turned out with a really heavy consistency to it. It could have been just the fact that I don't have a food scale, but I wanted to find a flour mix that worked more with what I keep on hand at all times and not end up with such a dense bread. I also wanted it to be a more traditional style so I did bake it on the baking stone in a free-form shape.

This bread also went really well with the vegetarian Shepard's pie that I made for dinner and there was only a small piece of the loaf left after our meal was over. I got the recipe for the Shepard's pie from foodnetwork.com, so I will not share that one here, but it is a good one if you want to try it for your meal next year. Even though this bread is made by people outside Ireland only once a year, it is full of flavor and I think works well for any time of year when you want a quick loaf to go with dinner. Enjoy.




Ingredients:


1 cup/235ml oat flour finely milled
1/2 cup/120ml brown rice flour
1/2 cup/120ml potato starch
1/4 cup/60ml oats, coarsely milled
1 tsp/5ml baking soda
1 tsp/5ml cream of tartar
1/2 tsp/2.5ml salt

2 tbsp/30ml flax seed, milled
6 tbsp/90ml hot water

1 cup/235ml non-dairy beverage of choice (I like hemp or coconut-unsweetened)
1/4tsp/1ml vinegar
2 tbsp/30ml brown sugar

Preheat the over to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix the water and flax seed and set aside for 10 minutes or so. Mix together the dry ingredients. Blend in the remaining ingredients and blend together until just mixed. On a preheated baking stone (or a cookie sheet that has been lightly oiled), spoon out the mixture into the center of the stone. With slightly wet hands, shape the dough into a round and pat it down a little so that it has a good loaf shape.

Cut an x shape into the top of the dough. This step is optional.

Bake for 30-35 minutes (less at lower altitudes) until golden brown.

Remove from the oven and let it rest on a cooling rack for at least 1/2 an hour before cutting and serving.


3 comments:

  1. I would like you to keep up the good work you know how to make your post understandable for most of the people.
    African Mango Juice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Chelsey. I really enjoy cooking and it is a good feeling knowing that others can also share them along with my family. I have been working on some new recipes, so I hope to get some new things posted soon.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    My name is Tina Jin, the community manager for a new blogger community called Gluten Free (www.atomicreach.com/tribe/glutenfree). This is a feed powered by Atomic Reach, and features bloggers writing about being or becoming gluten free. This community will focus on food, diet, tips, advice and personal stories on the subject. I want this Gluten Free community to be a place where expert advice and tips are consolidated in one place for everyone to digest.

    If you decide to join, Gluten Free will publish the title of your posts and the first few sentences of each post. If readers want to read the full story, they’ll be pushed to your blog and give you traffic. These readers will be people who share the same passion and interests as you, which is the sole purpose of the community.

    If you’re interested in joining our community, please e-mail me back at tinajin @ atomicreach.com with “Gluten Free” in the subject line. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

    Sincerely,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete