Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chocolate and Black Bean Brownies

I've seen bits and pieces of black bean based brownie recipes over the internet throughout the past year, but I've only now had the chance to play with my own version of this recipe. I had one recipe that worked OK, but it was too sweet for my tastes and although I like a good sticky brownie, this one was too sticky. Since that one was made with more traditional gluten free flours, I started to wonder if all the grain free hype about the black bean brownie would live up to my expectations. After a little playing, I ended up combining a grain free recipe and the OK recipe that I already had on hand. These brownies are a lot more cake like than I thought they would be and I traditionally like the gooier variety, but these went over well with the kids so it is worth sharing with you all.


Ingredients: (by volume)

1 cup/235ml walnuts
2 cups/470ml precooked black beans, rinsed if from a can
1 cup/235ml brown rice flour (milled in coffee grinder)
1/4 cup/60ml cocoa powder
1 tsp/5ml guar gum
1 tsp/5ml salt
1 1/2 tsp/7.5ml baking soda
1 tsp/5ml cream of tartar
1 tsp/5ml cinnamon
1/2 cup/120ml brown sugar
1/4 cup/60ml corn free powdered sugar (or more brown sugar)

1 tsp/5ml vanilla
3 tablespoons/45ml light cooking oil
2/3 cup/160ml no sugar added applesauce

1 tablespoon/15ml flax seed meal plus 3 tablespoons/45ml hot water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Oil (or spray with cooking spray) sides and bottom of brownie pan (9 X9 ish).

Combine the flax meal and hot water in a small bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes while combining the other ingredients.

Chop walnuts, in a food processor, into very small pieces. Add the remainder of the dry ingredients, plus beans, and blend well.

Add in all other ingredients and combine until well blended. Dough should be stiff and slightly sticky.

Spoon into prepared baking dish and spread with a spatula until the top is level and all the corners are filled.

Bake for about 25-35 minutes. Mine took about 35 minutes at high altitude.

Cool the entire pan on a baking rack. Cut and serve warm or store in the freezer for a later date. Makes about 16-24 depending on how you cut it. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment